Monday, March 24, 2008

Cupcake Hero Entry



I recently got introduced to a recipe website called Quirky Cupcake which has a montly contest called "Cupcake Hero" in which Laurie picks an ingredient theme of which you have to use in the either the cupcake, filling, or frosting (or all!).


When I saw this month's ingredient was "marshmallow", I just knew I had to enter! My kids love these butterscotch marshmallow bars, and I thought that I could re-create them in a cupcake. Ryan enthusiastically offered to be my taster, and Aaron offered to help me frost as needed!

I adapted an old recipe I have for white chocolate cake (don't remember the source), and a recipe I found at allrecipes.com for Chocolate Marshmallow frosting (substituting butterscotch of course). The results: well, my husband and kids could not get enough of them! Although they aren't on my diet, I tried a small bite, and thought we had a winner as well! Hope you all enjoy them! I doubt I'm in the same league as some of those other cupcake designers, but hey, it was fun to experiment with the recipe!


Butterscotch Marshmallow Dream Cupcakes
3 ounces butterscotch morsels
1/4 cup boiling water
1 1/4 cup sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, room temperature, separated
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Place 12 cupcake liners in pan

Pour boiling water over butterscotch and stir until melted. Set aside to cool.
Sift together cake flour, baking soda, and salt.
Beat 2 egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside in refrigerator
Cream butter and sugar, add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. With mixer running, add vanilla and butterscotch mixture.
Alternate adding buttermilk with dry ingredients. By hand, gently fold in egg whites into batter.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 way full (I got 12). Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.


Butterscotch Marshmallow Frosting:
1 1/2 T shortening
1 jar marshmallow cream (7 oz)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup half & half
4 oz. melted butterscotch chips

Mix together shortening and marshmallow cream, add powdered sugar, half & half, and butterscotch chips. Beat well, add additional half & half as needed to spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes, drizzle with butterscotch chips melted with canola oil if desired.

3 comments:

Tempered Woman said...

oh girlfriend~ you had me at butterscotch...I'm addicted to caramel and butterscotch. Well I'm addicted to most foods but these rank very highly! ;-)
You are definitely "in the league."

JENNIE said...

Thanks much for the compliment tempered woman, you'll love them! My husband and boys made it through a dozen of them in less than 2 days!

JENNIE said...

Oh, and I just looked at your blog, and I'm from St. Louis originally - how cool is that! I grew up in St. Charles . . .small world!