Sunday, March 16, 2008

Weekend Turkey Chili

We've had a brutal week here at our house. My husband got sick with a cold Sunday, I came down with it Wednesday, and Friday our 6 year old son Aaron had also fallen victim. It's one of those annoying illnesses where you just feel horrible, run fevers for days, and have a sore throat/coughing spits at any given moment.

Somewhere along the line in my life, I decided the cure to such an illness is SPICY FOOD! My favorite food of choice in years past would have been chinese food, but since there isn't any take out that fits in my lifestyle anymore, and I didn't have a good recipe, I opted for turkey chili instead.

Turkey chili is a great recipe when you are trying to eat clean. It has lots of protein, fiber, vegetables, and of course tomatoes are great anti-oxidants. As such, I'm sure that it will cure us all.

I've made this once before, and even my red meat loving husband ate tons of it - so I think anyone could enjoy it! Here's my recipe, I modified it slightly from one that I found on Baking Bites to make it my own. Enjoy!

Jennie's Turkey Chili

3 lb. ground turkey
1 12 oz. can reduced sodium chicken broth
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 T worchestire sauce
1 T hot sauce (less if you don't like hot)
1.5 T favorite steak rub or seasoning
2 cans tomatoes with green chilis
2 small cans tomato paste
1 12 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 cup favorite barbeque sauce
1 small can green chilis (optional if you don't like hot)
3 cans kidney beans, rinsed under water (I choose reduced sodium)

Directions:

In giant soup pot, brown meat under medium heat. Drain off fat and rinse meat with water.

Put meat back in pot and add chicken broth, onion, both peppers, worchestire, hot sauce, and steak rub seasoning. Let simmer under medium heat for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally.

Add tomato ingredients and barbeque sauce, reduce temperature to low and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add in rinsed kidney beans, and continue simmering for at least 1 to 2 hours.





Here's what it looks like after that!



Serve with shredded cheese, chopped onions, or anything else that normally goes on chili. Myself, since I'm eating clean, I just eat this!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow - this looks really good - am going to try this on the next rainy weekend in Seattle - which will be next weekend! The recipes are super. Love, Mom