Sunday, March 16, 2008

Egg Whites - The Perfect Protein

Back to the subject of my eating healthy, I've discovered that I really enjoy eating egg whites. I know it sounds crazy, but I really like them. I would have never guessed, since I think egg yolks used to be my favorite part of the eggs. However, egg white protein is a slow-digestable protein, which means it is good for giving my body sustained nutrition over a longer period of time. It's not that great for right after a workout though, when your body needs fast nutrition. There are better protein choices for that time.

Here's a link to some more information about eggs and nutrition.

Anyways, someone recently at work asked me about my healthy eating, and I replied "lots of egg whites for protein, since I lift weights so much". To my amazement, he got a puzzled look on his face, took about 1 minute pause, and said "What do you do with all the yolks?"

So, I guess the word is not out there yet about liquid egg whites in the grocery store. Here's a photo of one of the brands I use:




For these, 1 egg white is equal to 3 T of product. Since I'm in weight training mode (meaning I have to get in at least 150 g of protein a day), I usually make 1 whole cup to get enough protein (1/4 cup = approx 7 g. of protein). I really like scrambled egg whites, for variety I add in spinach, chopped mushrooms, green peppers, etc.

But, I do also like hardboiled eggs. Lately I've been buying the omega eggs at Costco, however, they've been out recently. Of course, we are all going broke buying eggs these days, but alas, I must. Here's the picture of the box:



So, I'm trying these today hardboiled (minus the egg yolk of course). For my concerned co-worker, don't worry, I don't think anything will be harmed by throwing away the yolk! Although, if anyone has any suggestions for cooked yolks, feel free to send them my way (of course, this is probably unlikely since I think I've had few hits on this blog so far - Hi Mom!)

For those of you that still like yolks though, remember 1 egg has over 50% of your daily cholestorol limit. You might try one whole egg scrambled with 2 egg whites and see if you notice a difference!

I am going to try and sneak this brand into my husbands scrambled eggs in the morning though--25% less saturated fat!

No comments: