Thursday, March 20, 2008

Quest for homemade Graham Crackers


Well, I was reading the oxygen website and they posted that graham crackers are OK on occasion as clean eating (see here!). This excited me like nothing lately--wow, graham crackers as eating that is allowed, and not even really a treat! Yeah!

So, of course the obsessive part of me decides that I won't eat just any graham crackers, that it would be better for me to make my own, so I could control the ingredients and make good substitutions as appropriate.

The first one I tried a few weeks ago, based on this one on baking delights. Instead of white flour, I used whole wheat pastry flour, substituted smart balance stick butter for the butter, used 1/4 cup splenda brown sugar blend, and substituted agave instead of honey. The results were a very good flavored cookie, but I personally could not get it rolled out into anything that looked decent. I'm not sure if I did not refrigerate enough. Or it might have been the whole wheat flour substitution.

Next, I tried this one yesterday. Now, I liked the idea of this one because it used canola oil, and molasses for flavor, with little sugar. I did make it using graham flour, water, but soy milk does sound good. Now, I really liked the taste of these, and you didn't have to refrigerate the dough, but personally I couldn't roll them out right again. They turned out good, just very mis-shapen! I won't even post the pictures! But, Aaron ate them right up, as did I! I might have had problems because I used graham flour, which is courser than whole wheat, so I might try these next time with whole wheat.

So, I decided to look on Hodgson Mill website for a recipe, and found this one that is posted for cooking on a pizza sheet - perfect! The recipe was similar as others, and I made similar substitutions (canola oil for butter, whole wheat flour for white flour, agave for honey). Taste was good, and pressing out into the pizza pan was much easier. I didn't get it to cover the whole pizza pan though.

The bad news: Everything was going so well! But, I didn't keep a close eye on this batch and they got too brown!!!! Drats, oh, well, luckily I have the ugly ones left over from yesterday to comfort me. I'll try again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i heard you had a great oreo recipe could you post it Alexa

JENNIE said...

HI there--

I'll have to do that next! Are you talking about the homemade oreo's? Or the cookies with oreos in them?

:) Aunt JENNIE